[Homeroast] Re : Sour espresso taste

denis bordeleau bomerlo at yahoo.ca
Mon Jun 4 16:32:37 CDT 2012

Hi Mike,    I'm only 5 but I'll try answering that one. I have a Rancilio Sylvia.        From what you said it appears you have 2 problems: sour taste and cold water in the cup.  Sour taste can be because of rancid oil accumulation and minerals.  So, clean both of your machine and decalcify them.  Temperature problem will  probably  be solved.  Check your chain of  T°. If you have steam ­in the wand and 168 degrees in the cup you have a loss in between. Keep your porta filter hot and panty (not in the freezer), warm the cup and try bigger size than ristretto.  Clean the grinders with instant  minute rice to get rid of sour tasting oil by cleaning the burrs.  Be sure the blend is OK by trying another extraction and grinding method.   For cleaning, backwash and decalcifying method on the Gaggia New Baby and Classic models, go with the instructions book or the mighty list will come to your help.    I wish you good luck and a
 very nice evening