[Homeroast] Sweet Maria's New Coffee Alert

Brian Kamnetz bkamnetz at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 16:11:59 CDT 2012

John,

I used to go through a process similar to what you describe. Back when
the list was more active I used to cut and paste rave reviews into a
document and save them until it was time for me to order. The problem
was that I order ~16 pounds ~ twice a year, so by the time I was ready
to order, the things people had been raving about were gone. I finally
decided that I sort of like all the coffees that Tom offers, so I gave
up trying to figure things out and to instead rely on "dumb luck". I
now order an 8-pound sampler with each order, adding a pound or two of
whatever Ethiopians were available, and also a couple pounds from
Central and South America, and whatever I see that Tom says he really
likes. This "dumb luck" approach works at least as good for me as any
more systematic process I have followed in the past. An example is a
Ruwanda coffee that came as part of the sampler that was delivered
with an order a week or so ago. I would never have ordered the Ruwanda
coffee, but I love it. I was at a family reunion and roasted it
yesterday for my sister. We tried it right after roasting and it was
wonderful. We tried it again today and it was wonderful in a different
way. It's now on the way to Florida with my sister.

I suppose there are flaws in my method and it wouldn't be an
attractive approach for everyone, but on the other hand it saves me
lots of frustration and offers some wonderful surprises. The worst
that can happen is that I spend a week or two of coffee that is
disappointing only in that it isn't above average, though when
ordering from Tom, average constitutes quite a high bar.

Brian