[Homeroast] Sweet Maria's New Coffee Alert

John and Emma jehorchik at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 15:39:30 CDT 2012

Thanks Denis,

It does bring back memories of this coffee. It was the best cup I have ever
had next to the ones I had in Costa Rica on the farms.

I keep a spreadsheet of all the coffees I have ordered over the years and
note country, bean name, process type, roast level and personal preference.
This helps me go back over the years and see what I have liked best and I
sometimes use it to help make orders. Maybe I should have added date
ordered.

When I started buying green beans from SM's I started by region and country
to get an idea of areas my wife and I preferred. This helped me learn that
though we prefer Costa Rican beans and Guatemala are supposed to be similar
we never found a Guatemalan bean we like. Then I bought based on process
type. Helping us learn whether we preferred one method over another. Over
the years I have found process type didn't make as big of a difference in
our preference then I had anticipated. I then bought based on cupping score.
Found that to us this really wasn't the best method on deciding what beans
to buy. Then I started buying based on brightness, flavour, body and finish.
More recently I have bought based on various random reasons.

Now I am in need of more beans and find it hard to decide what to buy.

John H.