[Homeroast] Green Coffee Storage

David H.G. Hipwell gisdave at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 12 18:28:34 CDT 2012

Hi All, Does anyone use reusable vacuum-sealed plastic bags to keep their green beans in (kind of like a ziplock bag with a one-way valve to suck the air out)?  I don't have any experience with vacuum packing, and am curious about vacuum sealing green coffee. I'm also wondering if a vacuum Mason jar be better than a plastic bag (I'd cut the valves off the bags, drill a hole through the lid, and glue them on)?  I'm worried that odours, humidity, and other bad stuff could make it through the plastic and contaminate my beans. I've been storing my beans in burlap or cotton sacks under my kitchen counter.  There've been some verry humid and hot days where I live, and I'm wondering if it is has affected my coffee, as I'm getting a sour flavour when I roast.   Thanks.