[Homeroast] San Salvador coffee shops

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Tue Jan 24 21:04:28 CST 2012

Ivan - I hope you know how impressive it is to have the experience
you had. 5 years ago you would have been better off with a Nescafe
than local coffee. This is a really positive change in
coffee-producing countries. Still, some of the new chain stores will
do latte art, and seem specialty, but the coffee is bad. You found a
real gem there...plus, you beat me to it. I havent been to Viva
Espresso, but I will definitely check it out in a few weeks when I am
there.

Tom

>My trip to El Salvador brought a few nice coffee surprises. ES is
>definitely a coffee-centric culture historically. It is a tiny country and
>produces a tiny amount of coffee compared to other powerhouse producers,
>but as we know, some spectacular coffee comes from there (e.g., any of Aida
>Batlle's fincas). I found a great local chain of shops, Viva Espresso,
>whose baristas placed in the World Barista Championship. They had some
>great ES selections and had a line up of brewing methods that outstripped
>most shops I have seen here in the US, including some great shops in
>Frisco. They had about everything except siphons, even AeroPresses. I
>picked up a pound of Finca San Jose '11 which won a "coffee of the year"
>with SCAA  Guild in '11. Outstanding place. Went through a small
>earthquake, lived two miles from a volcano crater, ate lots of pupusas,
>tried to avoid the dangerous places in San Salv. Salvadorans were very
>friendly and kind. I hope go back someday.
>

>Ivan

-Tom