[Homeroast] E-mail addresses hijacked.

Mike Davis mldavis2 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 23 12:38:17 CST 2012

I think often we get paranoid about our computer systems to the point of
going overboard.  I've run Windows machines since the days of the
original IBM-PC with never a problem on my own computer.  I have had
mailing lists "stolen" from other sources, however, but never directly
from my own machines.  (Yahoo had a very old e-mail contact list of mine
hacked and used for spam back in the days I used Yahoo e-mail readers
which tipped me off when e-mails from persons long deceased bounced.)
Common sense in web surfing is the best way to avoid problems, and never
click on an embedded link unless you KNOW the sender and the link is an
intentional inclusion in their e-mail.

I run Windows 7 64-bit with Microsoft Security Essentials (free for
downloading), Avast! anti-virus (free version), WinPatrol and then
Malwarebytes as an occasional second opinion run.  These have been
chosen because they are mutually compatible (unlike recent Symantic
products or Zone Alarm, both of which can cause major problems with
Windows built-in firewall).  All updates are manually downloaded every
morning before logging onto the net and sometimes checked again during
the day.  I do not want my programs "phoning home" during heavy
CPU-intensive work, causing my computer to stumble or asking for a
reboot.  I keep minimal personal information on my computer, and any
files remotely interesting to a hacker are password protected behind my
AV and firewalls.  Never a problem.  I don't have time to learn a new OS
for the sole purpose of sending and receiving e-mails.