[Homeroast] E-mail addresses hijacked.

Frank Parth fparth at mac.com
Sun Jan 22 20:37:55 CST 2012

Steve,
Ubuntu is good. But it requires far more technical knowledge than the vast majority of people want to deal with. People
just want their computer to work and not have to configure it and deal with the limited number of programs available
for minority OSes. I enjoy playing with Linux occasionally, but I can't afford to run my business on it. I need
something that employees can easily understand and work with.

One threat-monitoring site, http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00002300.html, has just released their report on
the amount of mal-ware for the Mac OS. They say there are several dozen new baddies out there for the Mac (most of
which  are trojans which can only be accessed by logging onto bad web sites (most file-sharing ones)). But compared to
the millions of mal-ware threats for Windows I feel perfectly safe.

The US Air Force bought 25,000 Apple computers back in 1984-85. That's how I got exposed to them. I've been buying
Apple products for my own use since 1987. I stay logged on the Internet 24 hours a day (often in some odd countries),
have  no anti-malware software, and have never had a virus, trojan, or macro virus.

By comparison, when I boot up Windows 7 (using Fusion in a virtual environment) it takes 30 minutes or so to download
and install all the current mal-ware updates. I try not to bring up Windows unless I need to use MS Project for a
client.

But this is getting far off-topic. To get this back to coffee roasting, I enjoy using Artisan S/W to run my Quest when
I roast so I can get repeat-able roasts.

Did I do good bringing this back to roasting?

;)

Frank