[Homeroast] Sweet Maria's New Coffee Alert

Rich rich-mail at octoxol.com
Sat Jan 21 22:14:58 CST 2012

Sure, just returned from an afternoon road trip so I missed your reply
when it hit. AV programs are reactive and not predictive so until the AV
software writer is provided with a copy of the virus or in some cases
the trojan pattern it is an unknown and you are defenseless unless the
rudimentary predictive routines catch it. Foe example do you think the
Iranians were running their internal networks with out very good AV and
firewall protection? See: stuxnet worm.

As to firewalls, the vast majority of users can not configure them
properly as they just lack the expertise and the user manual is
incomprehensible to them. Incoming attacks are blocked quite effectively
wit NAT or double NAT routing which is easily to set up but outgoing
still requires a good, correctly implemented software firewall or you
lose your Outlook or Outlook Express address book.

And on top of that adding a software firewall and AV program increases
processor overhead and consumes available RAM and processor cycles.