[Homeroast] Sweet Maria's first ever, live, interactive, video broadcast. Friday at noon.

Josh Housh joshhoush at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 15:35:59 CST 2012

Joel,

Glad you tuned in for the broadcast, and thank you for the feedback.

I think you need to imagine that you aren't a "home roaster", but rather a
novice coffee roaster, looking to accumulate knowledge. That is how I view
myself as I've been working at Sweet Maria's for a few years, but have much
to learn. I enjoy using cheapo air popcorn poppers, a Behmor, and a Probat.
The fun thing about roasting coffee yourself is being involved in the
process. If you are disatisfied with the cooling cycle on the Behmor (which
I too am less than pleased with) then bypass it, grab some potholders and
pull the cylinder out and cool the beans by shaking them around outside.
 Try other methods of roasting. The wonderful thing about roasting is no
one has the "right" answer. Each individual is empowered to examine, try
different workarounds, and enjoy the process of roasting coffee. Do sample
roasters manufactured by German companies produce better results than "home
roasters" built by factories in China? It depends who's operating the
equipment and how well they understand the roaster they are using.

Best,
Josh

On Saturday, January 14, 2012, Joel Gomberg <jgomberg at pacbell.net> wrote:
> I really enjoyed the show, but I came away with a better understanding of
how limiting home roasters are.  The time differences in the mid range of
roast levels are so small that it's just about impossible to get precisely
what you want, especially because the Behmor doesn't stop the roasting
process very quickly after the cooling button is pressed.  I didn't see any
ads, thanks to Adblock Plus.

> On 01/13/2012 07:30 PM, Terry McVay (rr) wrote:
>>
>> Tom what a fantastic experience!  Really learned a lot here being able to
>> watch, listen and learn at the same time. Especially interested in your
>> coffee/water ratio (7gr to 1/2 cup) and a discussion of the psychology of
>> cupping. (Re:coffe tastes.. when I brush in the morning before my first
cup,
>> I don't use toothpaste.)
>> And yes, the ads are very distracting.. Too bad about the time delay or
>> 'tweeting' the questions might have worked.
>> Terry/Kona, Hawaii
Byron -
>> Sweet Maria's Coffee
>> Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 8:34 AM
>> To: A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
list,
>> available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html
>> Subject: [Homeroast] Sweet Maria's first ever, live, interactive, video
>> broadcast. Friday at noon.
>>
>> Hello everyone. Tune into our Ustream page tomorrow (Friday 1/13/2012) at
>> Noon PST to watch and/or participate in Tom's live, interactive broadcast
>> where he will go into detail about cupping roast levels. Viewers will be
>> able to participate in a live chat. It's our first time doing this so try
>> not to make fun of us as we work out the kinks. If it goes smooth, you
can
>> expect more live broadcasts in the future. Here's the link for out
Ustream