[Homeroast] identifying green beans

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Thu Jan 5 13:01:54 CST 2012

Send me a picture - there are some coffees that are hard to ID from
appearance, but Kona is distinct in several ways. By the way, doing
blends with 10% Kona and 90% other stuff is pretty common, especially
in grocery-bin type outlets. It seems everyone is pretty aware of it,
even most consumers (I think). Anyway, if you are buying coffee at a
place that does Kona Blend, you probably won't care about issues of
quality and freshness that much. For Kona to be really good coffee,
it needs a lot of care, and good handling after processing as well.
If you store coffee in Hawaii after hulling it, it's going to fade
pretty quickly. Anyway, as we know with all things in coffee, the
term Kona doesnt mean good, nor does Tarrazu, or Estate, or
Micro-lot, or anything else really. Back to the point, send the image
direct to me or to the forum (the list can't take attachments) and I
will see if I can help.
--
-Tom