[Homeroast] Ethiopia

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Mon Feb 27 16:33:58 CST 2012

I love the smaqll fluted cups. Its actually my favorite cup for
coffee - i like to drink small cups and refill them - never liked big
mugs much. I wanted to actually import them, but they are mostly made
in China now, not Ethiopia, and I could not find the manufacturer.

Faranji (spell it any way you like since it is phonetic from Amharic)
means French, but came to mean any foreigner.

I hope you bought a Jebena too - the clay carae they boil the coffee
in... never seen anyone wash the coffee  in Ethiopia before roasting,
ever, in any part. Thats really funny... Sounds like a great trip!

Tom

>I love Ethiopian food, but after the past ten days I think I'll take a good
>long break from injera and wat.
>I bought a coffee ceremony set at the market in Addis - they are beautiful
>sets.
>

>On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 3:33 PM, Sandy Andina <sandraandina at mac.com> wrote:
>
>>  We have a terrific Ethiopian restaurant around the corner, and its owners
>>  live on our block.  At our block parties, they do the traditional coffee
>>  ceremony, roasting the beans in a ceramic pan over a charcoal brazier,
>>  grinding it by hand and serving it in little earthenware cups. It's very
>>  dark and very sweet, though not as syrupy as Turkish/Arabian (ibrik-brewed)
>>  coffee.  It's the highlight of the party---and I always order it at the end
>>  of the meal when I eat at the restaurant. (For Chicagoans, or prospective
>>  tourists, it's Ethiopian Diamond).
>>  On Feb 27, 2012, at 2:01 PM, Gregg Talton wrote:
>>  Peace & song,
>>  Sandy
>>  www.sandyandina.com

>--
>They say such nice things about people at their funerals that it makes me
>sad to realize that I'm going to miss mine by just a few days. - Garrison
>Keillor

-Tom