[Homeroast] variable transformers

peter zulkowski peterz5743 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 15:45:07 CST 2012

While rummaging through the things that I DID bring, I am becoming
very upset with myself here.

When I left AZ I left my 25 amp Variac behind (too heavy) figuring I could
replace it for what I spent to get it.
Forgot I bought it 12 years ago! I guess I paid about $45 + shipping from
ebay at that time.
Now they are untouchable.
Need a business to justify it!
I left too much stuff there that I was planning to replace cheap. Oh well.
So sad that it all went in the dumpster.

Now even the Chinese junk is way beyond my means :(
BUT,
almost forgot this part:
While in AZ I did pick up a red Chinese Variac knock-off at a yard sale...
free.
It did not work, and the guy wanted it hauled away.
It was heavy.
I like free :)
I took it all apart...  figuring I could fix it.....
you do not want to *buy* one of them.
My guess to what had happened to it was: it had fallen because all the
bearings and plastic inside was destroyed.
It didn't look bad on the outside though.
Looked to be in good shape.
Buyer beware. Free is okay if you have time to tinker.
Please do not buy Chinese Variacs.
>From my limited experience with then, they are throw away's.

Best,

Peter Z