[Homeroast] Ethiopia

Sandy Andina sandraandina at mac.com
Mon Feb 27 14:33:47 CST 2012

We have a terrific Ethiopian restaurant around the corner, and its owners live on our block.  At our block parties, they do the traditional coffee ceremony, roasting the beans in a ceramic pan over a charcoal brazier, grinding it by hand and serving it in little earthenware cups. It's very dark and very sweet, though not as syrupy as Turkish/Arabian (ibrik-brewed) coffee.  It's the highlight of the party---and I always order it at the end of the meal when I eat at the restaurant. (For Chicagoans, or prospective tourists, it's Ethiopian Diamond).