[Homeroast] Espresso Shot Temp

Brian Kamnetz bkamnetz at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 11:00:21 CST 2012

John,

Alchemist John has posted some things on using a Gaggia. I searched
the archives and ran out of time without find the the specific post I
was looking for, but this one is pretty close:

<start quote>
From: Alchemist John
As a long time Gaggia user I never used the steam switch. Yes it
boosts the temperature, but way too inconsistently for my taste. Keep
this in mind while you are "surfing". The boiler temperature in
reality is always going to be changing. The "trick" is whether it is
going higher (as it is just after the element turns off) or dropping
(after it starts to cool after the element "overshoot"). You want to
pull your shot on the up swing. That your light is coming on in the
middle of the shot indicates you are pulling it on the downswing. Here
is how I pulled shots. Warm up 30 minutes. Flush the PF to stabilize -
2-3 seconds Grind your shot dry, load and tamp pull water until the
element light goes on (heater is now one, temperature rising) load
your PF wait for the light to go off. Now "surf" for your way UP. I
found 3-6 seconds. Pull your shot. Finally, it is pretty normal for
the light to come on right at the end of the shot. Just remember, that
is the boiler temperature. There is still properly heated water in the
tubing and in the PF itself for another 5-7 seconds. Also, on cold
days, you may find you want to put water that is not icy into the
machine. I am on a well, and my summer water temperature is about 65
F, but my winter water can be 45F. 20 F difference can make a hell of
a difference in the performance. I never put HOT water in, but did try
to put "room temperature+" water in to minimize the supply water
cooling. 75-80 F gave a nice bit of stability. Sort of an FYI, on my
low end Delonghi, putting in 85 F gave it just the extra ompf to
perform very nicely. The main thing in all of this is KNOWING what the
machine is doing and what you can do to make it perform as you want it
to. At 15:25 12/16/2006, you wrote: <Snip> John Nanci AlChemist at
large Zen Roasting , Blending & Espresso pulling by
Gestalthttp://www.chocolatealchemy.com/
<end quote>