[Homeroast] Espresso Shot Temp

David Morrow dmorrown at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 01:23:50 CST 2012

John,

Here are some suggestions to improve your shots:
Here you will find more than 1500 Gaggia owners from around the world and a
wealth of information to help you learn your Gaggia.
2.  It should never be necessary to flush a Gaggia Baby.  The Gaggia
thermostats have a wide dead band, but letting the machine warm up for 10-15
minutes gradually reduces the temperature fluctuations.  Flushing the group
starts the process all over again. Warm you cups in the microwave or with
water from a kettle.
3.  The best way to control your temps is with a PID kit.  Again, you will
find all the details on the Gaggia group.  The second-best way is by
learning how to temperature surf your machine.  In order to do that, you
will need a way to measure the temps.  Some of us use the Styrofoam cup
test, but a better way is to place a thermocouple on top of your puck, plug
it into a digital thermometer, and measure the temps during the pull.  Tom
sells a digital thermometer with thermocouple that works fine.  It is
possible that your brew thermostat is defective, but you need a way to test
the temperature of your shots to know.  The usual rule is that if your shots
are sour, increase your brew temp.  The great thing about a PID is that in
addition to giving you consistent temps, if you want to increase the brew
temperature, you just adjust the PID.
4.  The first question you will be asked at the Gaggia group is to describe
your grinder.  It is the most important component for pulling good shots.

Dave Morrow