[Homeroast] Espresso Shot Temp

John and Emma jehorchik at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 17:52:40 CST 2012

I pre-heat the machine for a min of 20 min. Run about a cup through before I
pull a shot. I use the water I run through the machine to pre-heat the cup.
I pull the shot into two shot glasses for 25-27 sec. Sometimes the shots are
sweet and sometimes they are sour. This morning's shots were definitely
sour.

Practice, practice, practice. I am getting some good shots but most seem to
have too little crema or the amount of shot is greater than 2oz in two shot
glasses at 27 sec (the pour is too fast). I have been using 18g of ground
coffee and use an Espro Tamper. This morning I used more like 19-20g of
coffee and the pours were great where there was lots of crema (more than
half of the shot glass) and at 27 sec one shot glass was about 1.75oz and
the other was about 1.25oz yet it still tasted sour.

Thoughts, ideas and input?

Thanks

John H.