[Homeroast] variable transformers

John Stewart johns_webmail at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 25 12:09:59 CST 2012

Most dimmers aren't capable of controlling the power demands for an entire popcorn/coffee roaster.  Many dimmers are capable of handling the fan circuit in popcorn corn popper roaster.  My air popper/roaster has a variac on the heating circuit and a dimmer on the fan circuit.  However, I've run roasts without changing the heat controls at all.  If your fan is powerful enough to overrun the heat output of the coils and can be slowed so the heat builds up in the coils faster than the air takes it away - then you can have good temperature in the roast chamber with fan controls only.

Variacs can be expensive and hard to source.  I lucked out and was gifted one by a friend.  It needed a little work, but now it works fine.  Fan controls for a typical popper can be sourced with a trip to home depot and radio shack or similar stores.  You can find many sites that provide guides for the process.  I get a lot of good tips from homeroasters.org

John