[Homeroast] Rancilio Grinder issue

James Quentin jamesaquentin at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 25 18:04:59 CST 2012

Silas,

I understand your frustration.  I also recently purchased a used Rocky and replaced the burrs as you did.  I started noticing that very little coffee was
actually being produced through the chute.  I believe the problem was the flow of beans from the hopper to the burrs, not within the
burrs or the Rocky's ability to propel the coffee out through the chute.  When I pour in the beans for grinding now, I now shake or stir them,
even sometimes applying slight pressure from above with my hand to get the beans moving into the burrs. Make sure the channels where they
flow from the hopper are full before starting.  Sometimes gravity doesn't seem to do the
job properly.  The size of the beans seems to make a difference also, with larger beans seemingly not working as well. My experience now is that once
the beans get moving, they almost pull more down with them, and it works well.

I think the Rancillio Rocky is a great grinder, and it's worth the small inconveniences that might come with it.

I'm not a coffee grinding expert, but I hope my similar experience at least lets you know you're not alone in this one.

Buena Suerte!

Jim