[Homeroast] variable transformers

peter zulkowski peterz5743 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 15:59:33 CST 2012

Hi Folks,
Recently I read on this list that someone was using slide dimmers ?? for
voltage control. I want to manually control a split wired popcorn popper so
I need something that will handle the 1400 watts it uses.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need and where I can get it
cheaply?  Is it possible to use a lamp dimmer and have it control circuitry
that will do the job? Do light dimmers handle this much alone?
If I had a schematic I bet I could build something that would not be as
heavy as a Variac.

Thank you very much for your consideration,

Peter Z