[Homeroast] Off Topic: Cocoa?

John Nanci john at chocolatealchemy.com
Tue Feb 14 21:25:40 CST 2012

Hi Tim and folks - I am around.  Just not chiming in a lot.

Yes, you can roast cocoa in your HotTop (about a pound).  And the
Behmor 1600 which will hold about twice the Hottop amount (2-2.5
lbs).  There are no contamination issues at all.  I roast both in the
same drum roaster all the time.  And generally speaking you can roast
twice the amount of cocoa as coffee since it roasts about 100 F cooler.

You can NOT grind cocoa in a motorized burr grinder.  The oils (cocoa
butter) will load the burrs.  You can use a manual coffee grinder or
a whirly blade.

Feel free to ask more here or shoot me a note directly.

Alchemist John