[Homeroast] Drum Roaster Question

Sandy Andina sandraandina at mac.com
Mon Feb 13 13:11:49 CST 2012

I've been using a Behmor since it came out, and agree that it does best with batches of half a pound (maybe up to 12 oz. in a pinch) or smaller. Yes, it does put out smoke--ever since I upgraded my smoke detectors I must roast with the window screens open and the ceiling fan going, even in the dead of winter--but less than even the little i-Roast and i-Roast 2 and MUCH less than the Stir-Crazy/Turbo Oven combo I use for one-pound batches outside in summer.  (BTW, if you insist on roasting outdoors, don't get a Behmor, since it's designed to be used indoors).

You mentioned you need to reach "espresso/Italian roast" level now that you bought an espresso machine.  If you can vent heavily, there are tweaks you can do while roasting in the Behmor to get well into second crack without charring the beans. I find that matching profiles to bean texture, choosing a 1 lb. setting for an 8 to 10-oz batch and manipulating the "+" and cooling buttons I can get a dark roast without hitting the dreaded "third crack." BUT, where is it written that espresso must be a dark roast?  My local roaster, Metropolis, roasts its famous Red Line Blend to a medium level, not-quite-full-city (ditto re Caffe d'Arte's Firenze blend), in the Lombard/Tuscan style; and Intelligentsia's Black Cat and Kid O espressos aren't much darker.  I've roasted Metropolis' Green Line and SM's Liquid Amber and Monkey Blends only a few seconds into second crack before starting to cool (and Donkey Blend only a tad longer). Unless you are wedded to a dark, smoky Neapolitan/Sicilian style cup, you'll find the lighter espresso roasts will produce a more complex shot--caramel, different kinds of chocolate, even anisette notes. I used to prefer Torrefazione Italia's Sicilian roast and even Medaglia d'Oro or Cafe Bustelo; now that I've gotten used to lighter espressos I don't even like New Orleans chicory coffee black.

Remember:  "espresso" is a brewing process, a blend, or the finished product in your cup--NOT a roast!!!