[Homeroast] Drum Roaster Question

Brad Byford bbyford at charter.net
Mon Feb 13 12:54:29 CST 2012

Just have  to pipe in on behalf of the Behmor side of the fence. From my
experience the Behmor does fine to Vienna stage if you go light on the grams
going in. I consistently use 11 oz on a 1lb setting only because that's the
amount that fits in a bosch valve half pound foil bag after roasting. I get
those in bulk from Sweet Maria's. The only problems I've had with fire
involved opening the door to drop the temp (in attempts to extend the time
between 1st and 2nd crack). I've only had problems with coffees with heavy
chaff, and the fire always smolders out when I shut the door. The lighter
chaff coffees don't pose much of a problem usually. I've never had a fire
without opening the door. I keep a little fire extinguisher near me at all
times just in case. I had to use it once on a popcorn roasting. I miss that
popper. It was hotter than it should have been, but it did the job quickly.
I think it was a Rival. 18.99 at the mart of Walton. The Behmor will only
give you problems going into 2nd though if you have too much coffee in the
drum (more than 12 oz) or you choose a lower weight setting. And fire is
almost never an issue if you leave the door closed. I haven't had a Gene, a
Hottop, or a Quest, but I understand you can really tweak your time and temp
settings on a Gene. Not so with a Behmor. You have to work with the pre-sets
it gives you, or void the warranty, and get a board from Ira at
"Roasterthing" and wire your Behmor to be controllable from a Windows
interface. When my Behmor starts failing in a few years, I'll be doing some
modifications to it to make it more tweak-able.

Hope this helps.
Brad