[Homeroast] Drum Roaster Question

Michael Baladi mike at baladi.ws
Mon Feb 13 12:16:34 CST 2012

Maybe it's just me..... but I think the behmor (in it's from the store configuration) only struggles to darker roasts at 3/4 of a pound and up. If batch size isn't the most important thing in the world then he could easily roast smaller batches for his dark roasts and larger batches for his city roasts with the behmor. I've had the behmor and the gene cafe. I think both have their quirks but are both very capable roasters. Given that you'd like to do a variety of roasts, I'd say target 3/4 to 1 pound for lighter roasts and 1/2 pound for darker roasts. Use the tricks Tom posts about (ie: select 1 pound settings at a 1/2 pound). Don't walk away from the roaster and I doubt you'll have any fire issues. Just my opinion......

How's that for a first time post to this list! :-) Cheers.

At 09:14 PM 2/12/2012, you wrote:
>Batch size isn't super important - I'd be happy with a half-pound at
>a time (though more is better, I care more about the roast quality
>than a gigantic batch size).  Any advice would be appreciated!

I'd say give that, you'd likely be unhappy with a Behmor.

Ira