[Homeroast] Drum Roaster Question

Matthew D. Kaufman matt.d.kaufman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 23:14:44 CST 2012

Hi guys n' gals!

I've been lurking for quite a while and been home roasting for a bit over a
year on a FreshRoast SR500.  I absolutely love being able to roast my own
coffee - fresh taste, much higher quality than even expensive stuff from the
grocery store, and making our place smell like roasted coffee is just
amazing.  I'm getting to a point where I want to be able to make a bit
bigger batch size, and have a more uniform roast.  One thing I've noticed
about the FreshRoast is that my roasts are rarely uniform throughout; some
beans are noticeably lighter and darker, even in the same batch.  I roast in
my kitchen at a pretty average temperature (room temp anywhere from 70 to
75) - I think it's just a function of air roasting being an imperfect
medium.  I'm looking at drum roasters, and had some questions for the folks
on the list.

I like a good City Roast (maybe a tad darker), and I don't think that any
drum roasters have issues with that.  However, we recently bought an
espresso machine, so I'd also like a machine that can handle an
Espresso/Italian Roast.  In reading about the Behmor 1600, it sounds like it
is not a good model to get if you want darker roasts due to smoke and fire
hazard.  I was hoping that wouldn't be the case given the attractive price
point for the Behmor over other drum roasters, but there seems to be
consensus on the reputable sites I check (Sweet Maria's, The Coffee
Project), so who am I to question that.

Do you guys have any suggestions on a reasonably priced drum roasters that
could handle what I'm looking for?  Batch size isn't super important - I'd
be happy with a half-pound at a time (though more is better, I care more
about the roast quality than a gigantic batch size).  Any advice would be
appreciated!

Thanks,

--Matt