[Homeroast] Kopi rears its ugly head yet again

MobileMe fparth at mac.com
Mon Dec 17 18:47:56 CST 2012

A month or so ago I spent 10 days in South Vietnam. One week teaching, then I took a tour of South Vietnam (after several years of teaching there one week a year I finally had enough time to actually see more of it than Saigon).

One day I was talking to the tour guide about how poor the coffee is that I've bought here ( the local markets, like the Ben Thanh market in downtown Saigon, sell mostly robusta beans as far as I can tell. They call them different names, but they all taste like robusta).

He said he knew a place that sold only the best coffee. So the last day of the tour he took me to a store that sold almost entirely weasel coffee, the Vietnamese version of Kopi Luwak. I held off buying any.

Frank Parth