[Homeroast] Kopi rears its ugly head yet again

Lynne lynnebiz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 19:16:18 CST 2012

Folks, this has been discussed on the list before (in fact, I seem to
recall Tom even wrote some about it).

Please, please, please - don't forget (and just in case some of our members
don't know): the Kopi Luwak animals are put through *horrendous* abuse in
order to obtain these kernels of profit. I don't know about any of the
other animals that process poop-coffee, but I suspect the same.

The Wiki <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak> article states:

Due to the demand growing numbers of intensive civet "farms" are emerging
> across south-east Asia, confining tens of thousands of animals to live in
> tiny cages and be force-fed. '"The conditions are awful, much like battery
> chickens," said Chris Shepherd, deputy regional director of the
> conservation NGO Traffic south-east Asia. "The civets are taken from the
> wild and have to endure horrific conditions. They fight to stay together
> but they are separated and have to bear a very poor diet in very small
> cages. There is a high mortality rate and for some species of civet,
> there's a real conservation risk. It's spiralling out of control. But
> there's not much public awareness of how it's actually made. People need to
> be aware that tens of thousands of civets are being kept in these
> conditions. It would put people off their coffee if they knew."'[20]

Another article<http://dailycoffeenews.com/2012/11/26/caging-and-abuse-allegedly-increasing-in-kopi-luwak-production/>quotes
the Guardian:

Animal welfare groups contend that growing numbers of such civet “farms”
> are emerging across south-east Asia, confining tens of thousands of animals
> to live in tiny cages and force-fed a debilitating diet. The Asian palm
> civet is common, but conservationists claim that related species are
> sometimes used which are under threat of extinction. The binturong, another
> cat-like species that is sometimes used to produce Kopi Luwak, is classed
> by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature’s red list as
> “vulnerable”.

 ...and this is the article in the Guardian from which the above was quoted:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/nov/19/civet-coffee-abuse-campaigners?fb=optOut
]

This is a most horrendous way to make money, and I beg my coffee-loving
family here at SM's to think about this before giving any money to
perpetuate this abuse.

Guess I should have saved the bunch of coffee beans my dog ate & pooped out
about a year ago - could have made a good buck there - despite how toxic
they are for dogs, my Emma survived with nothing to show except a LOT of
activity... the same can't be said for these poor Kopi Luwak animals...
makes me wonder.... where is the 'human' in humanity?

Lynne