[Homeroast] 14.5-amp heat gun on a 10-amp circuit?

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 20:15:06 CDT 2012

It is hard to fathom any home using circuit breakers in the distribution
panel, with wiring only heavy enough to carry 10 amperes. Is there a
NEMA-standard electrical connector for a 10-amp limited circuit?

None that I know, and the Master heat guns I've had all use the standard
3-prong grounded connectors, which are 15-amp devices.

Of course the ground prong gets twisted off, or a 2-prong to 3-prong
grounded "adapter" is used with the ground lead left 'floating-' not a good
plan. Op Images people sometimes used these for hammers on their screen
printing equipment-!-!-?

They wanted new ones from W.W. Grainger to the rescue, and paid me to
repair the former hammers. Didn't take that long, but they "needed them
Yesterday" at the time, and I inherited the duds after all. I've long since
given them away, before I started roasting coffee, Drat!

Interesting experience with $10 Glorious People's Orange heat gun with
switch, from Harbor Fright. EGAD, it was Hot, but on the 3rd roast, it was
like the 4th of July! My 125v line voltage probably helped, but my $19.99
Wagner HT-1000 and Drill Master HG's take it.

Thought the Wagner was giving up the ghost but still makes Hot after
2-years. No need for the Drill Master spares...

Cheers, Mabuhay -RayO

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Brian Kamnetz <bkamnetz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good to know, Rich. Thanks.
>
> Brian
>

> On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Rich <rich-mail at octoxol.com> wrote:
> > That is incorrect, the 751b heat gun will trip a 10A circuit.
> >

> > On 08/26/2012 01:42 PM, Brian Kamnetz wrote:
> >>
> >> I have another question related to my heat gun. I use a Master
> >> Appliance 751b, which is listed at 14.5 amps. I brought it with me to
> >> a friend's house one time to demonstrate roasting, but first I checked
> >> the breaker box and saw that the circuits were all 10 amp. I thought I
> >> recalled someone on this list saying one time, several years ago if at
> >> all, that because, unlike a motor, the heat gun doesn't have a big
> >> start-up load, it would probably be ok on a 10-amp circuit. Am I
> >> recalling correctly?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Brian

> Forum</a>

> Forum</a>

Persist in old ways; expect new results - suborn Insanity...