[Homeroast] Coffee tours in Costa Rica?

Zara Haimo zara at haimo.net
Mon Aug 20 18:33:10 CDT 2012

I don't remember getting any tips from anyone on this list, but there are a couple of small coffee roasting places about 15 minutes from the airport on the way to the coast.  One is a place called simply Cafe on the main road (Highway 21) from the airport on the right as you head to the coast - it's a bit off the road in an unpaved parking lot and might be easy to miss.  Their lunch menu looked good and they sell roast beans.  They said they bring their organic roasted coffee in from Cartago Province and sell it within a couple of days, so it shouldn't be stale.  We bought some there on the way from the airport to use in the house we rented and we all liked it.  The second place is a little further down on the same road in a shopping center with a Home Depot type of store called the Do It Center - the coffee roaster is called Sun Burst Coffee http://www.sunburstcoffee.com/visit_us.htm and is in a smaller building off to the side.  They roasted on the premises.  We only found it as we were leaving, so I didn't buy anything there, but their lighter roast beans looked and smelled good.