[Homeroast] Leaking around my

Jim Wilson sh8knj8k at msn.com
Fri Aug 17 16:32:32 CDT 2012

  ~~~~Tim!,  It's probably your group gasket...the group gasket is what the porta filter seals against.  here's a few group gaskets-  http://www.flickr.com/photos/26137108@N04/5286864665/sizes/l/in/set-72157625476966717/  they insert up into the group, and here's a pic of the group from my commercial Gaggia, 58mm thermo siphon HX  http://www.flickr.com/photos/26137108@N04/3335021748/sizes/l/in/set-72157605654118354/  Generally speaking, it's probably easiest to use an ice pick to remove your old gasket (buy a new one first, and get a spare while you're at it)...but turn your machine off to let cool completely before attempting to remove the old gasket, lest your skin become burnt from touching the hot group  If the new gasket has a chamfered edge, install that side up into the group.  Press in place with your fingers and you can also use your porta filter minus the coffee basket to aid in seating the new gasket (tirning intop place) Also, clean around the group where the gasket seats after you remove the old gasket...a 3M pad and some detergent (like Joe Glo) works well, that is if you have old crusty gasket residue left over after removing the current gasket.  Might also be a good time to backflush your group with detergent (espresso machine cleaner) I find I'm replacing this gasket about once a year on my current HX espresso machine  Best,  JakeReddick Fla.