[Homeroast] My obsession history..

John and Emma jehorchik at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 19:01:27 CDT 2012

My obsession with coffee began when I was very young. I remember being given
Hungarian coffee and dunking egg bread in it when I was 3 or 4. When I was
in University my room mate and I would get 20 lbs of whole beans from his
dad's restaurant. We were the only one's I new who ground their own coffee
back then.

Home roasting started after a trip to Costa Rica about eight years ago.
While on our trip a local coffee shop and wholesaler showed my wife and I
how to roast our own coffee using a hot air popper. His comment to us was
"you want to taste the best coffee you ever had in your life?" That coffee
went straight from the air popper to a sieve to cool and ground with a
Whirly. It WAS the best I had ever had. Great coffee and no rest.

I used the air popper for a few years before buying a Behmor. I brought back
green beans with us from Costa Rica and then madly searched for places to
buy them here (British Columbia, Canada). I came across a few websites but
none more comprehensive than SM's. The wholesaler in Costa Rica gave me his
contact information to buy beans from but with cost of shipping etc it
wasn't advantageous. Since my first purchase from SM's I have never gone
anywhere else.

I roast 1lb a week just for my wife and I.

John H.