[Homeroast] Behmor Err4 - any weekend help?

Greg Hollrigel ghollrigel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 11:50:26 CDT 2012

John:

Thanks!  Following whatever the law of mechanics and IT support are, I ran
it this morning (with the caveats below), and the error did not appear.  It
appears just asking for help from those more knowledgeable than myself is
enough to fix it.  :-)

In all seriousness, I did the "super clean".  Basically, wiped the roasting
chamber clean, removed the side panel, exhaust panel, and the back panel,
and wiped off the residue/dust, and blew away all the chaff.  Then I
reassembled to do the 1/2AP1 clean burn.

Today, I left off the side panel, and removed the silver exhaust cover, and
ran the 1/2 A P1 again with those 2 pieces removed.  The fan above the
circuit boards (presumably the draw fan) ran the entire time, and just
seemed to change speed a bit.  So it was successful, and I'm guessing it's
not the fan that is stopping, which based on your comment below, I'm
guessing might be leading to a circuit board issue.

However, I have a thought too.  Do you Behmor roasters out there think
excessive ambient heat could have caused it to short out and give me the
Err4?  I live in Orange County, CA, and it's been hot the past few days
(probably mid-80s with 60-70% humidity), and I roast in my garage, so maybe
a bit higher than that in the garage.  I never had this problem before, and
the roaster is about 3 years old with probably a 100-200 pounds of coffee
roasted.

Is there any downside to roasting with the side panel off to allow the
circuit boards to try and stay cooler?

Anyways, I think I'll try a roast late tonight or tomorrow morning in the
cool temps and see if it works, but interested in your comments to my
thoughts/questions.

Thanks,

Greg