[Homeroast] Success with Cona Rod & Yama!

Phil Palmintere phil.palmintere at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 10:42:59 CDT 2012

Success with Cona Rod & Yama!

First, a big thank-you to everyone who provided advice, both on-list &
off-list, on how to use the Cona rod with a Yama vacuum pot.

While we were living in Park City, UT for the winter (ski season), I never
succeeded in successfully using the Cona rod with the Yama pot -- and before
I was able to try the technique of the "Burst of Heat" just before drawdown,
I broke the top globe to my Yama while washing it in the sink, and put the
project aside, instead using my Clever Coffee Dripper for the rest of ski
season.

Now we're back home in the Las Vegas suburbs (altitude 3146, according to
Google Earth), and more importantly, I tried the Cona here with my home vac
pot, using the Burst of Heat method.

Success!!!

Well, sort of.  I'm not using my home roast; I decided to use some
pre-ground coffee a friend brought back from Hawai'I -- a medium roast
pre-ground for pour-over, sealed in an aluminum-ish packet - the size good
for "one pot of coffee" (as if a "pot" were a standard unit of measure).

Tomorrow I'm going to try it with my Ethiopia Illubabor - Camp Cooperative.

Thanks again to everyone!

Phil