[Homeroast] broken behmor question

j3r j at j3r.org
Mon Apr 23 12:26:56 CDT 2012

On 12-04-20 03:13 PM, Benjamin Morgan wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> So a few years ago, I set my Behmor roaster on fire when I left coffee in it
> for too long. Since then the electrical and mechanical components work fine,
> but since the inside is so blackened ‹ and believe me I have scrubbed and
> scrubbed ‹ it won't fully roast batches! I think it doesn't reflect heat
> efficiently any more and the roast always stalls and goes into cool-down
> mode way too early. (Sometimes before hitting first crack, I think.)
>
> My question is: is there any way to hack the Behmor to keep the heating
> element on all the time no matter what? I recognize that my history with the
> machine makes this sound like a terrible idea but I promise to stay by it
> and be careful. I have only basic mechanical skills but I'm intrepid and
> don't have much to lose by pulling the thing apart. If not, I think I'll
> just have to throw the thing out, which is sad because everything still sort
> of works.
>
> Thanks
> Benjamin
This may be something you have seen, but behmor recently updated their
"update" docs - all the maintenance here is worth trying before chucking
it http://www.behmor.com/docs/updates_1_2_and_3.pdf

An easy one is make sure you are not using an extension cord or anything
that could cause voltage to drop.

Jeremy