[Homeroast] Help! - Bad Shots

Scott Thile sethile.pipes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 10:34:11 CDT 2012

Hello Larry,

My experience is that Decaff goes stale much faster
than caffeinated coffee. From what your describing, and especially
considering the storage difference, my guess is that decaf went stale on
you. I find my decaf normally peaks after a day or two of resting after
roasting, and it's starting to decline after a week (stored in sealed mason
jars). While I find that my caffeinated coffee more often peaks after 3
days, and stays pretty decent for 10 days to 2 weeks in the sealed mason
jars. I often have to adjust my grinds fast as the decaf ages after the
roast, but have come up with a decent compromise between the two as long as
I can keep the decaf fresh enough.

Actually, decaff was main reason for getting into home roasting. More on
that in a reply to your other post...

Scott