[Homeroast] Espresso vs. Brew

Doug Hoople doughoople at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 16:21:36 CDT 2012

Hi John,

I was warned, when I started here a couple of years ago, that I'd
inevitably cross over to the dark side

I haven't, and most probably won't.

It's owing to living in places with tiny kitchens. We lived on a boat in
Sausalito for the better part of a decade, and love living in compact
spaces with low demands for maintenance time.

So no giant machine for grinding.  And no dedicated counter for an espresso
machine plus paraphernalia.

Most of all, I don't have the vast amounts of time required to explore the
endless byways of espresso making. I hate the thought of getting only
halfway there and not being able to produce a satisfying shot on most
attempts.

I've found that there are plenty of byways to explore even in the simple
act of brewing with a vacuum pot, and in trying to discern the perfect
roast, the perfect grind, the perfect origin, the perfect dose for that
method.  After just over 3 years of that modest quest, I think I'm just
beginning to understand some of the dynamics of it.

In contemplating the pursuit of espresso, the mind simply boggles at the
explosion of variables.

Besides, I've only occasionally loved a shot of espresso, and quite a bit
more often am left disappointed.

But I really love a good cup of brewed coffee.

Each to his own, no?

Enjoy the journey!!
Doug