[Homeroast] behmor afterburner was: Behmor Fire

Michael Baladi mike at baladi.ws
Thu Apr 12 13:45:27 CDT 2012

Were you setting it to 125 volts while it was running (ie: elements on?).

If so I wouldn't call that high-normal. 125 at rest is maybe a high normal, that would get you around 122 most likely while running. 125 with a 1500 watt load is definitely high and yes I believe that would burn out the afterburner prematurely. Once the mains kicked off on the cool cycle the afterburner would be running about 127 volts.

If you are going to run a variac to the entire unit I'd recommend setting it to a nominal line voltage before you start and leaving it alone. If you split off the heater and connect them directly to the variac then you gain a lot more freedom to control the heat output without jeapordizing the rest of the electronics, however then you fundamentally changing the way the machine runs and disabling all it's safeties.

Mike