[Homeroast] Behmor Fire

Lalpern2 at aol.com Lalpern2 at aol.com
Thu Apr 12 13:11:21 CDT 2012

On April 11,2012 at  2:41 PM, Bill wrote:

>One oddity that I've noticed that I cannot explain, but seems to  repeat
>itself.....
>
>Roasting times seem longer during warm weather than during cold  weather.
It
>might simply be my imagination, but I doubt it. I find myself  hitting the
>cool cycle sooner during the winter than during the summer.  It might be
the
>case that the thermostat controlling the heat cycle is  tricked into
>overdrive by cold weather.... I don't know.

Being of the engineering persuasion, and C/O (and maybe A/R), I've always
kept extensive notes on every roast I've ever done including the six
hundred or so using my Behmor.  I always record the ambient  temperature and have
noticed the shorter times to first  crack when the temperature is lower.  In
fact, I always estimate the  expected time to first crack based on previous
roasts and the current  temperature.

I'm guessing that this is due to the longer on time of the heating elements
 to satisfy the thermostat at colder temperatures.  Since much of the heat
energy transferred to the beans is radiant, this shortens the time to first
 crack (and total roast time) for the same beans and roast profile.

Maybe someone with technical expertise in the Behmor (Alchemist?)  would
weigh in on this phenomena.

Speaking of the Behmor,  does anyone else find they need to  frequently
repair or replace the afterburner?
I've had to fix mine five times so far, with the nichrome wire opening up
right at the lug.

Still like the roaster though, and the roasts it produces.  Almost  never
use my IR1 anymore.

Len