[Homeroast] Behmor fire

Bill Zambon wzambon at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 13:24:35 CDT 2012

I've had my Behmor for about three years and had a fire- once.

It was completely due to my ineptitude- I forgot the time and came outside
on the porch to find smoke billowing and the machine actually shut down. I
thought I had burned the thing up, and after I regretfully threw away the
charcoal remains of what had been a pound of beautiful Costa Rican
greens.... I cleaned out the machine with Simple Green, and hoping against
hope, I pushed "start" and found that the thing still worked. That was two
years ago, and it has worked fine since then.

I am still unwilling to babysit the Behmor through the entire roast, but
now set an alarm to go off four minutes before the roasting part of the
cycle ends. I've found that this is adequate, and gets me into close
proximity to the Behmor well before any dangerous situation might develop.

And I always roast out of doors, away from anything that might catch
fire.... just in case.

But the Behmor is a rugged piece of equipment.

Bill Zambon