[Homeroast] behmor fire

j3r j at j3r.org
Mon Apr 9 17:22:58 CDT 2012

On 12-04-09 03:14 PM, David Morrow wrote:
> Jeremy,
>

> Thanks for the reminder not to leave the Behmor unattended.  I have had one
> or two small glowing chaff fires, but they quickly went out when I shut the
> system down.  As you have probably figured out by now, your mistake was to
> hit cool instead of off.  Here is what the manual says about fire:
>

> In Case of Fire: Never open the chamber door.
>

> It goes on to say that the machine should shut down automatically.  When
> that happens, unplug it and move it outside when it is same to do so.  You
> might want to talk to their tech support person about why the machine didn't
> shut down and what you should do to make sure it has not been damaged.  From
> what I hear, they are usually very helpful.

Indeed. I panicked. The amount of smoke was prodigious. The machine did
in fact shut down once the fire started in earnest, when the door was
opened.

I know not to open the door and said as much to my friend, but I have a
bad habit of opening the door a crack when I need a quick cooling cycle,
and I think this is what prompted me to do so.

I definitely learned from this, I was more worried about the Behmor and
damaging it, which was why I wanted to extinguish the flames ASAP. I
know now to just close it up, put it outside if possible and explain to
the neighbours that I was experimenting with smoke machines for my
upcoming rock spectacle.

Jeremy