[Homeroast] Espresso vs. Brew

Barry Luterman lutermanb at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 23:52:06 CDT 2012

Upgradeitis that is really where the costs multiply. In the beginning I
bought a steam block machine without a 2 way valve. The thought was just to
see if I liked espresso. A month or so passed and I discovered I really
needed a better grinder. Enter Rocky my cheap grinder in the garbage. Some
more time passes. I really like espresso but it can be made better. After
all only the best coffee is being used why waste it on inferior equipment.
Out goes the steam block (gift to my daughter) and enter Miss Sylvia.
Espresso much better but a bit inconsistent. Upgrade no but add a PID,
crotchless, Thor tamper,thermometer,bunch of frothing pitchers. Much better
now but I require better. Grinder, Grinder sell Rocky and replace it with
Mazer Mini. Espresso getting better but still inconsistent when pulling a
few shots. When company comes over don't want to be in kitchen all night.
Aha double boiler must be the answer. Sell Sylvia at a loss with PID and
buy a Brewtus. Should be done now but nooooooooooooo. Move and have my own
coffee nook. Need a dedicated grinder just for espresso and a double boiler
that does not have to be on all the time and a built in PID. Sell Brewtus
buy a Alex Duetto and Cimbali Max Hybrid. Total coasts more than I made the
first 3 years I worked and probably twice the price of my present equipment.
Moral of the story is don't do it in small steps. Spend time in good local
coffee houses drinking espresso. If you decide you really like it and can
make it better yourself. Bite the bullet and go all the way.
As way of an example. There was a man who had a neighbor. The neighbor had
a dog.Every night for a week he would here the neighbors dog howling in
pain.Finally, he could stand it no longer. He banged on his neighbors door
and told him if he didn't stop torturing his dog he would report him to the
authorities. The neighbor responded that he loved his dog very much and
would never torture it. However, the dogs tail needed cropping and he loved
the dog so much he didn't want to hurt it. So instead of cropping the tail
he cut a little bit of it off each night.