[Homeroast] Espresso vs. Brew

j3r j at j3r.org
Mon Apr 2 20:26:14 CDT 2012

On 12-04-02 08:15 PM, Dorian Snow wrote:
> I'm with Derek. I love my Aeropress.  I have also turned a few people on to this little gadget, and they are hooked.  For everyday and multiple cups, we brew coffee in a Melitta drip.  But for one cup, I use the Aeropress.  I also have an old piston espresso/capuccino machine that I rarely use.  It takes a while to heat it up, and cleaning the parts is time-consuming.  It's fun to use once in a while, but it mostly collects dust.  If I had not inherited it, I probably wouldn't spend the bucks to buy it.  Only a really good espresso machine works properly, and for that you need to spend money for it.  Same goes for a good burr grinder that makes a consistent grind.  If I had to choose between an excellent grinder and an espresso machine, I'd go for the grinder.   For $25-30 bucks, you can get an Aeropress, and it makes really strong coffee that lets every flavor in your bean shine through.  Dorian

I am sure there is flames awaiting, but I think the mypressi is a
capable espresso machine. You don't have to spend thousands. Some of my
hand grinders from ebay grind fine enough for a decent espresso. You can
get the whole kit (mypressi + grinder) on the cheap with an aeropress
for under $300 I would think.

You WILL want to upgrade after a while, but it may be a long while.

Jeremy