[Homeroast] Espresso vs. Brew

Derek Bradford derekbradford at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 19:23:28 CDT 2012

It's been said before but it's worth repeating: espresso is great, but
there are other ways to make coffee just as well, if not better.  I have a
La Spaziale Vivaldi 2 (S1V2) and a Cimbali Max Hybrid grinder.  They make
great coffee.  I've used them every single day I've been home since I got
them 3 years ago, and I've also had good espresso gear before that--seven
years now, give or take.  But consistently, I've always said that if I
couldn't have espresso I'd be just as happy with my Aeropress.  I use it
often and I really enjoy the cup.

If you've had great espresso and you really like it, and if you're also
enthusiastic about learning a plethora of fiddly techniques, then by all
means, get some gear (grinder first of course--the espresso mantra).  Good
gear is expensive, and there's quite a learning curve, but I've never
regretted it, and after 7 years I still enjoy it every single time.

--Derek