[Homeroast] Home Roast contest - Columbus, Ohio

Dave Huddle 137trimethyl26dioxopurine at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 14:36:36 CDT 2012

So my wife & I went to the event yesterday - sampled about 10 brews
from various local commercial roasters.

Of those we tasted, most were unexciting.    Some were even unpleasant
to taste.    We liked only one sample better than what we had had at
home before driving down town.   (I had roasted Ethiopia Gera Jimma -
Nano Challa - city+ in a very balky Z&D roaster and brewed it in a
Krups Moka Brew.)

It seem to me that most samples were brewed weaker than I would have
done - but what do I know?

Most were doing Melitta style pour over or Chemex, although one stop
was using a vacuum brewer - even had a balance vacuum brewer on
display, but not in action.

The best sample (in our opinion)  was Ethiopia Tchembe from Cafe
Brioso.   Fruit bomb!   I had never heard of that variety.    TOM -
what about that variety???

I think there were 10 or 11 homeroasters in the competition.   I don't
remember who won, or with what bean.

But anyway we had a good time and hung out with 4 or 5 other home
roasters and traded stories and tips.

I hope the North Market does the event again.

Dave