[Homeroast] improving flavor from stove top espresso pot at sea level

Brian Kamnetz bkamnetz at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 12:53:35 CDT 2011

Jim, I like to grind as finely as possible to get full extraction with
my moka pot. Sometimes I experience the bad flavors associated with
over-extraction if I grind too finely. Also, because I grind so finely
i like to baby the brew along, keeping the heat low so that the coffee
barely oozes out of the moka pot stem. Of course, then it takes longer
so I am running the risk of over-extraction again. As with so many
coffee extraction methods, its all a balancing game of temp, grind,
and time. And water, cleanliness, etc. I now live in Mankato MN and
have yet to get my coffee the way I like it. The water here has lots
of iron in it, and that doesn't' work work a darn for coffee, so I am
buying water in .5 liter plastic, and that doesn't seem to work as
well as water in other places either. Or, it's the grind, or trouble
getting used to the electric stove instead of gas, or something that
hasn't occurred to me yet.

Brian