[Homeroast] improving flavor from stove top espresso pot at sealevel

Bob Hazen peatmonster at comcast.net
Fri Sep 23 20:58:44 CDT 2011

Rather than brandy, I wonder if Everclear or Vodka might do what you want
without adding non-coffee flavors....

I'm near sea level, so methinks an experiment is, uh..., "brewing."

Bob

Just a note on the specifics, we were on a week long vacation centered
around our granddaughter's sixth birthday.  We were almost six hundred miles
away from home renting a little beach side apartment for the week and we
traveled in the little Honda taking two 75 or so pound dogs as well as the
stuff we needed for the week.  I really tried the idea out with the limited
things I had available.  I am not so much interested in adding flavors to
the coffee but trying to eliminate or at least reduce the flavors I find
over heating produces.  My goal was to get the coffee made using the
pressure from boiling alcohol so it would be done at a lower temperature.  I
would prefer to not add flavors to the good coffee but rather to get the
flavor from the stove top pot to be as close to what I get out of my
espresso machine as I can.  In general I have found three cups brewed with
the stove top pot to really taste much more what I get out of the $1,200 or
so espresso machine.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense.

        pecan jim