[Homeroast] improving flavor from stove top espresso pot at sea level

Jim Gundlach pecanjim at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 23 20:31:26 CDT 2011

Just a note on the specifics, we were on a week long vacation centered around our granddaughter's sixth birthday.  We were almost six hundred miles away from home renting a little beach side apartment for the week and we traveled in the little Honda taking two 75 or so pound dogs as well as the stuff we needed for the week.  I really tried the idea out with the limited things I had available.  I am not so much interested in adding flavors to the coffee but trying to eliminate or at least reduce the flavors I find over heating produces.  My goal was to get the coffee made using the pressure from boiling alcohol so it would be done at a lower temperature.  I would prefer to not add flavors to the good coffee but rather to get the flavor from the stove top pot to be as close to what I get out of my espresso machine as I can.  In general I have found three cups brewed with the stove top pot to really taste much more what I get out of the $1,200 or so espresso machine.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense.

        pecan jim