[Homeroast] Using a Variac to control a GeneCafe

Phil Palmintere phil.palmintere at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 12:47:15 CDT 2011

Resurrecting the GC thread...

On my GC, I try to use a similar roast profile to the one you describe
below.

However, my roasts (225g batch) don't achieve the target reported temp
during the allotted time.

So, in your example, you have it set at 451 for minutes 5 through 9, at
which point you raise it to 462.  Does your GC report that the bean mass has
achieved 451 by the time you bump it up to 462???  Mine doesn't - not even
close. Ditto for minutes 9 through 11: you have it set to 462 -- does your
bean mass hit 462 prior to you bumping the temp to 482?

I've wondered about the way the thermostat controlled heater works.  Is it
either "on or off" (sort of digital) or does the heat generated actually
differ at differing settings (sort of analog).

Thanks
Phil