[Homeroast] Pruning an indoor coffee plant

Jamie Dolan jamiedolan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 00:37:59 CDT 2011

> I need to transplant into bigger pots. What's a good mix? I heard a
> little on the sandy side.  Mine came in a small pot with a cluster of

Avoid sand in general, most sand is too small and it stays too wet.  A
mix of #2 Chicken Grit (co-op or farm supply), with dime to nickle
size pieces of bark mulch (can be hard to find in the right size, sold
in a good size as reptile bark at pet stores, but is costly) and
perlite with a couple tbsp a gallon of garden lime works very well.
Using 10-20% turface is a good add in if you can find it, but you will
have to look at commercial supply houses like a John Deer dealer.
about 10% peat can also be used.  Let me know what of these you can
find and I can get more specific about the mix to make.  If that is
too much work; look for orchid mixes, you may still need to add in
other stuff depending on what is in the orchid mix.  Cactus mixes can
work okay if you mix in a pile (50% + perlite or grit) otherwise they
tend to stay on the wet side also.  It's good to add a microbe / &
micronutrient to the mix, I find worm castings work well, a
hydroponics store will have several other options for you also Some
fish emulation mixes may work well, any decent hydroponics store will
know what you want.

You want to get some Foliage Pro from Dyna-Gro.  Look at a hyroponics
store or order it online, a small bottle is under $10.  Foliage Pro is
about the best fertilizer for containerized plants on the market.  You
don't use a lot, a pint would likely do these coffee trees for over 6
months, thought you will like the results from it, so it might be
worth getting a bigger bottle so you can use it on other house plants
too, as they are cheaper in bigger bottles.  I also suggest getting
some Pro-tekt from the same company (Dyna-Gro) small bottle is fine,
about $10.

If you want to know why I suggest these over other products it is
fairly long, but basically, Foliage pro is one of the very very few
products that actually supply nutrients to the plants in a ratio that
they can use them.  When you supply them in a improper ration, the
excess salts from the fertilizer build up in the soil and will stunt /
harm the plant.

I currently have 800-900 container plants I am growing.  Here are a
couple shots of some of my containerized plants, not coffee plants,
but shows you I have a bit of experiance with managing containerized
plants, both tropical and perennial.

https://plus.google.com/102213900866490115643/posts/TiRMd2qEy9h?hl=en

> plants together too. I kept 3 that still fit in 1 south facing window
> for the winter. A friend adopted an extra. We have had such screwy and
> stormy weather this summer I've kept. them in much of the time.  I
> don't push them to grow fast because soon only 2 will fit in the

If they are pot bound they will need root work, but it is highly
advisable to wait until the end of june to do this, after they spent
that first month outside.  I've done it other times of the year
carefully and have not had significant problems, but it really isn't
advisable.

Hope you find this helpful.

Jamie