[Homeroast] Pruning an indoor coffee plant

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Wed Sep 7 20:29:25 CDT 2011

Paul - start a Growing Coffee at Home thread with pictures - I think
lots of people would enjoy it and we can all post pictures to it.

I have actually never seen Robusta plants at a nursery. They are
always arabica. And they tend to be cultivated by plunking 2-3
cherries in soil, meaning 4-6 plants in a clump. I have bought coffea
arabica plantlets at good local nurseries, Lowes, Home Depot, even
Ikea! sometimes mislabeled or not identified at all. Anyway, I prefer
to grow the rare types I bring back from trips...

Tom

>At 07:00 PM 9/7/2011, you wrote:
>>Hi Paul - can you send some pictures of your plants? Or put them on
>>the forum? Let me know...
>
>Sure, be happy to.  I can Email them to you as well as put them....
>where? on the forum.
>
>They have become part of the family.... I raised them from seedlings
>bought at the local nursery in maybe 1999 or 2000.  They had rough
>lives early on.... they were extremely susceptible to drying out in
>their little pots and I thought I had killed them from neglect many
>times.  But as sensitive as they were, they always came back.  Many
>years ago, they got frostbite when I discovered that it didn't need
>to actually "frost" to give them frostbite.  That incident nearly
>killed one of them but once again, it came back.  It is about 25%
>smaller than the other one to this day but still healthy.  Anything
>lower than 45-50 degrees at night seems to be potentially dangerous,
>especially if the skies are clear.
>
>Trouble is that they are like wild animals.... cute as babies but
>big and unwieldy as adults ;)  The bigger of the two is about 50
>pounds in its pot and difficult to move these days.
>
>As I think I said earlier in the thread, they both flower and make
>cherries.  But the cherries don't ripen before the end of the season
>so they are still pretty green when I take the plants indoors for
>the winter.  By the next spring some seem to ripen but I have never
>bothered to "harvest" any.  Lately they have been flowering indoors,
>a bit before I deem it safe and take them outdoors for the summer.
>
>When I take them indoors for the winter, they tend to drop leaves
>and the remaining leaves get bigger than usual (trying to catch the
>limited indoor light?).  This (and I guess how they grow naturally)
>tends to concentrate the new leaves towards the ends of the
>branches, making them top heavy.  Hence my interest in pruning.
>
>Paul
>

>Paul Goelz
>Rochester Hills, Michigan USA
>pgoelz at comcast.net