[Homeroast] Pruning an indoor coffee plant

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Wed Sep 7 20:14:37 CDT 2011

At 07:00 PM 9/7/2011, you wrote:
>Hi Paul - can you send some pictures of your plants? Or put them on
>the forum? Let me know...

Sure, be happy to.  I can Email them to you as well as put them....
where? on the forum.

They have become part of the family.... I raised them from seedlings
bought at the local nursery in maybe 1999 or 2000.  They had rough
lives early on.... they were extremely susceptible to drying out in
their little pots and I thought I had killed them from neglect many
times.  But as sensitive as they were, they always came back.  Many
years ago, they got frostbite when I discovered that it didn't need
to actually "frost" to give them frostbite.  That incident nearly
killed one of them but once again, it came back.  It is about 25%
smaller than the other one to this day but still healthy.  Anything
lower than 45-50 degrees at night seems to be potentially dangerous,
especially if the skies are clear.

Trouble is that they are like wild animals.... cute as babies but big
and unwieldy as adults ;)  The bigger of the two is about 50 pounds
in its pot and difficult to move these days.

As I think I said earlier in the thread, they both flower and make
cherries.  But the cherries don't ripen before the end of the season
so they are still pretty green when I take the plants indoors for the
winter.  By the next spring some seem to ripen but I have never
bothered to "harvest" any.  Lately they have been flowering indoors,
a bit before I deem it safe and take them outdoors for the summer.

When I take them indoors for the winter, they tend to drop leaves and
the remaining leaves get bigger than usual (trying to catch the
limited indoor light?).  This (and I guess how they grow naturally)
tends to concentrate the new leaves towards the ends of the branches,
making them top heavy.  Hence my interest in pruning.

Paul

Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, Michigan USA
pgoelz at comcast.net